Clayton Cheek received his B. S. degree in English from Wake Forest University, his MBA from Wake Forest University and his J. D. from Wake Forest University. He is a member of the NC Bar Association, the American Bar Association and has been recognized by Super Lawyers. His focus is in Chapter 11, 7 and 13 Bankruptcy, Workouts and Alternatives to Bankruptcy, Business Entities, Contracts and Transactions, Estate and Succession Planning and Estate Administration.
Prior Legal Experience
Before joining Oliver & Cheek, Clayton was a partner in the law firm of Hornthal, Riley, Ellis & Maland, L.L.P. in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, where he worked from 2003 to 2010. Before attending law school Clayton worked in a fund raising capacity with Ducks Unlimited, Inc., in Memphis, Tennessee.
Areas of Experience
- Chapter 11, 7 and 13 Bankruptcy
- Workouts, Alternatives to Bankruptcy
- Corporate Law
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- Wake Forest University, JD, 2002
- Wake Forest University, MBA, 2002
- Wake Forest University, BA, English, 1995
Professional and Community Activities
- Adjunct professor of Business Law at Elizabeth City State University, 2005 – 2010
- Christ Episcopal Church, Elizabeth City, North Carolina, Vestry Member and Treasurer, 2007-2009
- Boys Club of Elizabeth City, North Carolina, Board member, 2008 – 2010.
- North Carolina Bar Association, Bankruptcy, Corporate and Estate Planning section member.
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- Member of the Rotary Club of New Bern
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2013